Submit your resume
Reports to: Sales and Marketing Manager
Location: Linthicum, Maryland
Hours: Full-time (Monday - Friday)
PTG Enterprises is a pavement contracting firm founded in 2001 and based in Linthicum, Maryland. We specialize in commercial pavement projects throughout Maryland and Northern Virginia: building, maintaining and/or rebuilding anything made with asphalt, concrete, brick, block or stone. Our clients include commercial and retail centers, multifamily housing developments and HOAs, office and business parks, and industrial parks and facilities; we also consult with other general contractors, architects and engineers. Website: www.mypavementguy.com.
The Estimator assists the sales department by qualifying RFPs (from existing and potential clients) for viability and attainability. This position requires: attending pre-bid meetings; issuing RFIs as needed; taking measurements; evaluating jobsite conditions; reviewing project drawings; reading project specifications; and contacting suppliers, vendors and subcontractors. The Estimator assesses collected data, converts this information into scopes of work and take-offs, materials and manpower pricing estimates, and incorporates these into RFP response documents. Must work well in a team setting and independently.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITES
- Attend Sales and Marketing strategy meetings. Make contact with clients and qualify leads.
- Schedule and conduct pre-bid meetings with clients.
- Read and review civil, architectural and/or structural engineering plans, drawings and specifications.
- Prepare site take-off, measurements, calculations, etc.
- Estimate costs for materials, supplies, manpower, etc.
- Negotiate proposal terms and pricing with clients, and make revisions as needed.
- Perform regular follow-ups until projects are awarded or are no longer valid opportunities.
- Serve as liaison between client and Project Manager, from initial project phase to completion.
- Work closely with Project Manager to hand-off projects.
- Assist with company marketing campaigns.
- Attend trade shows, conventions, expos and networking events.
- Perform outreach to new and existing clients.
- Attend training seminars and stay current about latest estimating programs and methods. Process work orders, attach pictures, drawings, field notes, directions, etc.
- Work with Operations to ensure material companies/vendors schedule on-time delivery of supplies.
- Assist with subcontractors and coordinate with private utility locators (e.g., Miss Utility and Spot-a-Pot).
- Meet with crews and subcontractors at start of project to "walk" the job.
- Attend progress meetings throughout project.
- Track all change orders and promptly process paperwork. Monitor and compare actual costs against estimated costs throughout project.
- Perform post-construction inspections.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 5+ years of estimating experience in construction (asphalt, concrete or masonry) or maintenance industry.
- AA/BA degree preferred; will substitute work experience in lieu of college degree.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office programs: Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent attention to detail, with ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Dependable and professional team player.
- Superior organization and communication (verbal and written) skills.
- Typical work hours 7 AM - 3 PM (may vary slightly depending on bid deadlines).
- Clean driving record and criminal history (background check required).
- Non-smoker (PTG is a smoke-free company).
- Base pay salary plus commissions. Predicted first-year wages: $50 - $60K.
- Paid holidays, vacation and training.
- 401(k) retirement with 3% company match.
- Company-paid life insurance, STDI and LTDI.
- Tuition reimbursement program.
- Company-wide bonus programs.
- No health insurance benefits available at this time.